Sunday, September 10, 2006

Tra la, I'm here!

SO- my roommate mentioned that she got caught up reading blog posts into the wee hours of the morning when she realized how much there was to read in catching up with old friends... so I looked around a little this morning. Folks, I'm out of the loop. It's official.

How about a story of the day?

So I pull up to the Sprint store, hoping this will be the last time in my life I have to go in there (complications...again-grr.), and as I'm walking towards the store, I hear someone honking their horn in the parking lot... loudly... and repeatedly. I think to myself, "Some psycho is really making a scene." As the honking continues (and I continue walking), I realize no one else is around- could the idiot be honking at ME? I glance over my shoulder to see a guy now jumping out of his truck and running towards a silver Honda which is driving through the parking lot. That's strange... I have a silver Honda that looks just like that one. Did you know a standard transmission vehicle gains momentum downhill at a surprising speed when you don't set the parking break?

So, Mr. Horn-Honking guy chases down my car, which rolls through 2 rows of cars, miraculously missing all other vehicles, with me in close pursuit. As I'm approaching the embarrassing scene, the guy grabs the spoiler on the back of my car and bears down in a weight-lifting competetition-sytle- manner and as his feet skid across the parking lot and he managed to stop my car as I jump in a set the brake. Oops. By this point another guy has come running to the car that I hadn't noticed, and I smile at everyone, thanking them for their help, grateful Mr. Horn-Honker was not a wee-little woman or small child.

While this was a first for me, I think it is a scenario that somewhat reflects my life when I get in too much of a hurry. I forget to set the parking break on my brain all the time. Too bad there's no one to chase me down in those instances and force me to slow down before I crash. (Ok, I have no idea what the metaphor is referring to, but it wrapped up the story nicely, didn't it?)

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Yes, I'll take a story of the day.

Yikes! That had to be scary. I'm glad that you were able to catch it in time and that you have the analogy-making skills to make this into something to think about.

The Best Family said...

I know this must have been scary for you, but I must admit that I was laughing out loud as I read it... you know like I laugh out loud when people fall... oh, the mental picture was just too much! But I am glad that you and your car (and the others around you) are ok!